- Danforth Junior High School
Return to Headlines
Update on Summer Activity Procedures
June 4, 2020
Our Wimberley ISD Athletic Department is excited to have the opportunity to re-engage with our students through summer strength and conditioning camps. The University Interscholastic League (UIL) is allowing districts to host these camps beginning on June 8, as long as certain requirements are met. The UIL's full list of requirements is online here.
The Wimberley Valley has responded with care and responsibility regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. WISD Athletics will maintain that level of responsibility by following our own set of guidelines for our summer Strength and Speed Camp. Our guidelines meet and exceed those required by the UIL. Developing and following these procedures will also serve as a learning tool as we introduce additional processes for the start of sport-specific practices and activities, the beginning of the school year, and beyond.
Beginning on June 8 we will host our Strength and Speed Camp (register here) for all incoming high schoolers (grades 9-12) at Texan Stadium. A week later, on June 15, we will begin our camp for junior high athletes (grade 7-8) at the high school. We will have the following requirements in place:
- All students need to bring a face covering
- We ask that all parents check your students for symptoms prior to each day of the camp; a checklist provided here can assist with this task
- Students will have their temperatures checked outside the building prior to entrance
- Students' arrival times will be scheduled in clusters and they will remain with those clusters throughout their activities
- There will be no water stations, all students must bring their own water bottles; water bottles will not be shared
- There will be no more than two students at each weight room station; the weight room floor will be taped to establish social distancing boundaries
- Students will be required to wear a face covering when they are spotting a teammate
- All equipment will be sanitized following its use
- For activities on the field all students will be spaced at least five yards apart
At this time our Strength and Speed Camp is our only planned summer activity in athletics. The UIL guidelines allow for very limited sport-specific activities, but it is our understanding that additional guidance could be released on June 15. Therefore, decisions regarding gym usage for both district and outside organizations will not be made until more guidance is released. In addition, at this time we have not been given any guidance on elementary-age sports camps, so we do not have any scheduled.
The UIL has released guidelines for summer band and staff is working to develop procedures for the summer band program.
We anticipate that the UIL, with guidance from the Governor's office and the Texas Education Agency, will be revising these regulations multiple times before the start of the school year. We will keep you updated as changes are made and let you know how that affects your student(s) and any Wimberley Athletics activities.