March 1, 2023
At its regular meeting on February 27, the WISD Board of Trustees approved the district's Academic Calendar for the 2023-2024 school year. The construction of the 23-24 calendar was led by Assistant Superintendent Jason Valentine, who relied on input and feedback from multiple groups, consisting of parents and staff members. The District Educational Improvement Committee (DEIC) and the Superintendent's Faculty Advisory Committee (SFAC) both submitted features they wanted to see in the calendar, while balancing state requirements that include instructional minutes, student holidays, and other dates. Three different draft calendars were created that reflected this input.
Feedback from the DEIC and SFAC narrowed down the number of options from three to two and the WISD staff was given the option to vote on the two final calendar versions via a staff survey. The final version, which was the one the board approved, was the top choice among staff and features the following key components:
- Teacher in-service begins on August 7, 2023
- First Day - August 16, 2023
- Last Day - May 23, 2024
- October 20th is a parent conference day for BHP and JWE; and a teacher in-service day for JH/HS (no classes for students at any campus)
- Christmas break is Dec. 21-Jan. 7 (teachers return on Fri., Jan. 5; students return on Mon., Jan. 8)
- Spring Break is Mar. 11-15
- There are four-day weekends for students on Feb. 16-19 (President's Day) as well as on Mar. 29-April 1 (Easter weekend)
- Graduation is scheduled for Friday, May 17, 2024
- May 24 is a teacher work day
- There are also extra instruction days built into the calendar to allow for potential weather events or unplanned early releases
The full academic calendar can be viewed on the WISD website here.