Degrees and Certifications:
Doctor of Education University of Texas at Austin (2013) Master of Education Texas State University (2003) Bachelor of Arts Concordia University at Austin (1998) Certifications: Superintendent, Principal, Professional Educator (Composite Science), TTESS/TPESS/Instructional Leadership Design
Dr. Greg Bonewald, Superintendent of Schools
On May 23, 2022 the WISD Board of Trustees unanimously voted to approve Dr. Greg Bonewald as the next Superintendent of Schools for Wimberley ISD. Dr. Bonewald, who spent 14 years of his educational career as an administrator and teacher/coach at Wimberley High School from 2000-2014, replaces retiring superintendent Dwain York.
Wimberley ISD is a place where a tradition of excellence permeates everything our students and staff do, and I am grateful for the honor to serve as Superintendent in such a special school district. We recognize the success of our district is critical to the success of our community, and vice versa. This community’s commitment to providing outstanding opportunities for all students is unparalleled, and I’m looking forward to working alongside our talented teachers and staff to build upon the culture of success our students and community have worked so hard to create.
I’m thankful for the opportunity to come back home and rejoin the Texan family. Even though I left WISD eight years ago, I never lost the love for the people that make Wimberley the exceptional community that it is. I look forward to re-establishing former relationships and molding new ones.
During my first several months, I plan to do a lot of listening and learning, and I want to hear from all our stakeholders. I look forward to conversations with students, staff, parents, business owners, and community members as we discuss our shared investment in the prosperity of our district.
I’m humbled by the great honor and responsibility of serving as WISD Superintendent, and I’m inspired by the opportunity to lead the continued tradition of excellence that exists on our campuses every day.
Degrees and Certifications:
Bachelor of Science in mathematics from Eastern New Mexico University and a Master of Education from Tarleton State University Completed post graduate work for his Superintendent Certification at Texas State University.
Dwain York, Outgoing Superintendent
Mr. York announced his retirement from Wimberley ISD after 24 years with the district, including the past 15 years as Superintendent. He will stay on with WISD in a consulting role through the summer of 2022 to assist with the leadership transition. During Mr. York's tenure, WISD achieved the following:
As WHS Principal/Superintendent (1999-2022)
- The Lady Texan Volleyball team advanced to the State Tournament 9 times, winning 6 state championships
- The Texan Football team advanced to three State Championship games, winning 2 state championships
- The Team Tennis team advanced to the State Tournament once, winning one championship
- The boys' Track team won one state championship
- The Lady Texan Basketball team advanced to the State Tournament two times
- The girls' Cross Country team advanced to the State Meet three times
- The girls' Golf team advanced to the State Meet two times
- In six of the last 11 years, WHS has placed in the top-10 of the State UIL Academic Meet team standings
- From 2001-2011 WHS's Lone Star Theatre qualified for the State Contest 10 out of 11 years, including the State Championship production in 2001
- Students achieved numerous individual state championships in UIL Academic events, track & field events, golf, and tennis.
- In Mr. York's first year as WHS principal the school won the 3A UIL Lone Star Cup
- November 2007 - Two Propositions - $34,000,000
- November 2008 - Two Propositions - $2,075,000
- August 2010 - Rollback "Tax Swap"
- September 2011 - Rollback "Tax Swap"
- May 2013 - $25,400,000 (Main - JWE)
- May 2016 - Two Propositions - $6,500,000
- May 2018 - $45,500,000 (Main - BHP)
- TOTAL of $113.5 million
- Jacob's Well Elementary
- Blue Hole Primary School
- Texan Stadium Fieldhouse
- Baseball/Softball Complex
- Also WISD has added tracts of land during Mr. York's tenure, including near the admin building, near Wimberley HS, near DJH on Texan Blvd, the property containing the baseball/softball complex, the property containing JWE, and currently unused land on the tract where BHP was built.